The PPA asked me to write the criteria for a new award category - best magazine cover
Here are my top 10 tips for what makes a great news stand cover
1. An image that says "pick me up"
2. A memorable logo.
3. A catchy slogan/strap line.
4. Use the cover space effectively, the top left and leading left edge are prime positions.
5. Colours should be bright. Avoid black and dreary colours.
6. Engaging cover lines that appeal to both new and core readers.
7. Cover lines that are active, add value and offer a reward.
8. Keep it simple: language and concepts must be immediately understandable and shouldn't need decoding.
9. Use a selection of cover line styles (both graphic and and written).
10. The cover should consistently convey a magazine's unique personality from issue to issue.